Pros & Cons of Packaging
The packaging has an equally important part in the overall structure of a product and its selling. It is vital to consider the elements one faces during shipment. There is an endless list of packaging solutions, and each caters to different purposes. We will appraise our readers of the pros and cons of packaging and what type of packaging material is excellent for certain reasons.
Advantages & Disadvantages
We shall start with the general pros and cons of the packaging before moving to its material.
Following are the benefits of the packaging:
- Protection:The packaging provides both retailer and buyer with excellent protection to keep the product safe. It will not succumb to mishandling and misuse package experiences during shipment.
- Eco-Friendly:The packaging also comes with environmental-friendly material that reduces the carbon footprint. People can play their role in saving the Earth by opting for nature-friendly boxes.
- Customization:Custom packaging allows people with absolute freedom in the designing and printing processes. Retailers can have anything they require on the packaging in order to acquire prominence in the market.
Following are the disadvantages of the packaging:
- Cost: The packaging is often cheap, but embellishing them with personalization and coating could burden the wallet. It would require more money for extra design and printing.
- Plastic:A few packaging solutions use plastic or exhaust natural resources for preparation. It could be hazardous to both health and nature.
- Cardboard:Mainly used material, cardboard, is not so great against moisture or to carry heavy item. Eventually, everything leads to extra money when it will be enhanced with additional material.
These are the general pros and cons; however, each packaging material comes with its own strengths and weaknesses. We have listed them to make their understanding easier for our readers.
Different Types of Packaging Material
We shall now look at the benefits and disadvantages of a few packaging material types to know what is the best material for the retailer.
Branded v. Non-Branded
Branded Packaging:Branded packaging is particularly made with a company’s name, logo, and different essentials for promotion and branding. These are mostly custom-made to cater to the product’s specifications. For example, if a person deals in gifts or cosmetics, his/her boxes will be crafted keeping the product in mind.
|It is remarkable for instant brand recognition||It requires additional cost for designing and order|
|It gives a professional appearance||It consumes time in ordering the material|
|It is great for trust-building||It requires proper knowledge by the trainers for packaging|
|It provides an excellence unboxing experience||It is not too great for safe shipments|
|It also supports freebies (optional)|
Non-Branded Packaging:In contrast, non-branded packaging shows a plain look with no-frills service. It is a choice for those who have started the venture and does not contain much budget. Simple cardboard boxes and plain, brown envelopes are outstanding and the most common examples.
|It is probably the cheapest option||Its plain look will not give a good look for unboxing videos|
|It is readily available||It will not be great for gift shopping because of its simple design|
|You can also outsource this packaging||It does not leave a great brand impact|
|It is a preferrable option for those who require privacy and subtle appearance|
Strengths & Weaknesses of Cardboard Boxes
It is understood that not every product is the same and demands different types of packaging to use its full potential. Shipping cannot be ignored and require safety for a satisfactory delivery. You should test the packaging with rough handling, heavyweights, and tear and wear elements.
Please consider the following points for an effective packaging solution for shipping:
Cardboard boxes should be your top priority when it comes to shipping.
They are quite robust and roomy and will protect the item against several harmful factors. It is also great because freight companies formulate rates on the packaging’s dimensions and weight. You can avail yourself of the double-walled box to safeguard the delicate products.
|It is easily accessible.||The small versions are not easy to keep safe and printing|
|It is eco-friendly and supports reusability||It does not support heavy products|
|It offers flexibility in sizes and shapes||It is not a great choice for weatherproofing|
|It is a suitable option for shipment protection||It is not too great for safe shipments|
|It is easily disposable|
|It is a lightweight packaging solution|
The safety of the product is the main thing in each and every packaging solution. You have to be wary of its planning and adequately organize it to keep the products safe. The packaging is relatively cost-effective, supports personalization, durable and robust. Keep the aforementioned pros and cons in mind when going to purchase the packaging solution for your products.
You are welcome to leave a suggestion or feedback to help us improve in our field of expertise.